Even if Assevillers was always a little village (sometimes more inhabited than today anyway ), it remains however that regularly, the District has been marked by the history .Legends, Lords and wars have built the history of Assevillers . So what are then,those events that marked the life of the village ?MĂ©moire de la somme, archive en ligne
The district of Assevillers is a very old one, as far as we could get back in the past time, Assevillers has always been a smallholding based on farms ; it means a collection of buildings meant to assure field works . This smallholding belonged to a Lord . So before the XVth century, the property of Assevillers belonged to the House of Caulaincourt . We could cite hereby Gaucher de Caulaincourt & Jeanne de Behurelle (XIVe s) gave up to their children the Assevillers property.
Dictionnaire de la noblesse TOME IV, p39, par FranĂ§ois-Alexandre Aubert de La Chesnaye-Desbois
Following that, the same property belonged once again to the famous Amerval's family. A member of this family (Nicolas d'Amerval ) married Gabrielle d'EstrĂ©es, mistress of Henri IV (genealogical, heraldical, chronological and historical dictionary.......created by FranĂ§ois-Alexandre Aubert de la Chesnaye Des Bois )
In the XVIIIrd century, assevillers was the posession od Audard de Mailly Couronnel, Lord of Assevillers thanks to a wedding he contracted with Marie Louise d'Amerval, Lady of Assevillers . It would seem a castle had existed in Assevillers .The old church of Assevillers sheltered the sepulture of Alexandre Joseph d ' Amerval, Lord of Assevillers, of Bethencourt, Matigny and others places ; Knight of Saint-Louis order, Regiment Captain,Master of Camp General of dragons, died in October 19th 1726 at the age of 42.
The name of Assevillers would come from 'Villa' ( who lives there ) and from 'Asson '(name of the place master ) the District possesses its blazon ( ' De gueules Ă trois besants d'argent posĂ©s 2 et 1 )it inherites from the Amerval's family (their motto was 'je seray tant que je vivray ')
To go more far :
armorialdefrance.fr | Blason de la commune | geneawiki
Annuaire Noblesse de France Borel D'Hauterive
The grĂ¨s Saint-Martin is a block of grey sandstone of 2m50 length on approximately 1m20 width . We can find this sandstone now by the church 'Notre Dame de l'Assomption' at Assevillers but formely it was found at 1500 m in the nord of Assevillers, precisely in the plain of the Saint-Martin Cross .This block is now classified among historical monument . Its paticular shape lets oneself think that this block constitues the remains of an antique polisher doted with silex used during the prehistoric period. In fact, it presents on its upper side a wash-basin receptioning rain waters allowing the silex polishing . Beyond those historical considerations, the sandstone Saint-Martin has obviously its own legend . Saint-Martin, from his real name 'Martin Von Tours', gave himself a role, early in his fifteenth in the roman army and stayed in Amiens in the year 330 .His legend has been borned at the doors of Amiens : meeting a poor onewhen begging and chilled to the bone due to the severity of winter, he took his coat off, cut it into two pieces by means of his sword and gave the half of it to the desherited poor one . The legend tells that in the following night, the Christ appeared to him clothed with the second part of the coat . Saint-Martin was well-known to have walked up and down the countries in order to evangelize the people .Hence, that's the reason why numerous trees, stones bring the name of Saint-Martin . Sounds the same for the sandstone'Saint-Martin'of Assevillers near which Saint-Martin preached speech and in which his donkey or his horse slaked its thirst ; Still in the XVIIIth century, the inhabitants of Assevillers brought their suffering mount at the sandstone of Saint-Martin, made them turn around it, three times and drink the water of the basins to heal them .
The military cemetery of Assevillers has been established issuing the first world war .It gathers corpses of numerous soldiers fallen down on the battlefields of Barleux, PĂ©ronne Bouchavesnes ....It counts 800 soldiers of various nationalities ( Australians, English ....) only 483 of them were identified . Among those tombs, there is the one of the 2nd lieutenant Cecil Patrick Healy issued from the 19th australian batalion of infantry, killed in August the 29th 1918 at the age of 34,during the battle happening in Mont Saint-Quentin . Cecil Healy had also got the olympic medal on swimming at Stockholm games in 1912 (Golden medal in relay free 4X200 m race andSilver Medal at free 100m race .Cecil Healy's grave
If you have any information about Cecil Healy, please click here
Cecil Healy has not only heroically fighted in the tranches of the Somme but is also the incarnation of a fair play as an anecdote attests it, happened during the Olympic games of Stockholm in july 1912 . In fact, during the free 100 m semi-final race, the legendary Hawaian Kahanamoku and two other americans arrive late and couldn't rivalize Healy . One of the greatest australian history swimmers qualifies himself then, for the final race and naturally becomes the favourite one of the competition . Therefore, Healy insists then upon the official instances to give chance to Americans to be qualified to the final race . A new race is organized during which KAhanamoku and Mc Gillivray obtain their ticket for the finale race . This final race will finally be winned by the american Kahanamoku and Healy will gain the second final place . He will receive, issuing this memorable final race an ovation compared at the height of his split . Following the Olympic game of 1912, Healy is a well knowned and respected competitor in the world level . Healy seems to be the only australian olympic champion died during a battle.
Cecil Healy : A Soldier of the Surf | Biographie de C. Healy | Australian War Memorial | Crawl
Archive | PĂ©riscope | Histoire du 19e bataillon d'infanterie AIF
With an art deco style, the church Notre Dame de- l' Assomption rebuilt in 1929 following the destructions linked to the battle of the Somme in july 1916, is the framework of the architect named Louis Duthoit . It constitues, coupled with the Town hall and the school, a remarkable unity which resulted from a labelisation 'Patrimoine of XXth century' by the culture and communication ministry in november 2005 . The edifice is constituted of a great vessel preceeded of a churh tower crowned by an octogonal arrow .It contains next-door areas sticked to its flanks, a sacristy, achapel and a polygonal choir . The church of Assevillers has been recently renovated in 2011 thanks to the participation of the heritage foundation Fondation du patrimoine